Visitor submitted photos – Monday 13th September

Helena Raymonde has kindly sent in some photos from today. Work is coming along and they’ve started putting the final touches to the shop facias, our favourite is the Excelsior Cigar shop!

Darren Grimes has just sent us a couple more photos through, including one of Brooklyn Antiques.

1. paul mcintyre says:

Excelsior Cigar shop is a direct reference to Stan Lee

2. Paul says:

Excelsior! *flys away*

3. paul mcintyre says:

I saw them yesterday building a Pharmacy !!

4. paul mcintyre says:

Vernon photos – got to be a link to the cinematography or the studio etc

5. Darren says:

John Vernon (deep voiced actor, played the psychiatrist in Airplane 2) did a lot of voices on the Marvel cartoons of the 60/70s, so it could be a nod to him.

6. paul mcintyre says:

Ah , what about Saunders Books – must be a nod to a writer ? any suggestions .

They will be more stores I spied a green grocers sign and a pharmacy being built

7. Monkeyfoot says:

The Excelsior Cigar Shop might relate to Marvel great Stan Lee but he did not create Captain America. The character was the brainchild of Jack Kirby and Joe Simon in the early 40′s. Later in the 60′s Lee and Kirby teamed up to create most of the other great Marvel characters like Thor, the X-Men, Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc.
    Instead of Lee they ought to create some tribute to Kirby & Simon in the film. They were both GIs together in Europe so they could have two actors play them and perhaps interact with the Captain America character.

8. Darren says:

There is a General Saunders in the Capt. America backstory – but it’s probably a nod to somebody else.
    Passing tonight I noticed some signs ready to go up – one was for a Jewish Flagmaker!?! And one bore the name T. Roth… a deliberate nod to the actor who appeared in the Hulk?

9. paulmc107 says:

Vernon photo store could be Vernon van Dyne who was The Wasp’s father . She is one of the avengers possibly in the forthcoming film Starring Eva Longoria ?

Still stumped on Saunders reference I agree possibly General Saunders

10. paulmc107 says:

I see they are taking all the modern signs down today and cleaning all the windows in the buildings . It looks like Casa D’Art will double as a Furniture store ? . I also notice they are rendering the floor in what looks like a mock up store between 2 buildings . possibly a hotel ? The Pharmacy is going up on the corner of Dale street . I guess they are using 2 streets for the filming ! Spied a fruit and veg store signs “…… Bros fresh fruit store ” was all I could see in the rain

11. Rich says:

They’ve started putting curtains up in some of the derelict buildings today.

I can’t believe they went to the effort of painting Casa d’Art to make it looks like bricks! You can hardly tell!

Gonna be a major pain when we can only exit our building through the basement (!) but I can’t wait to see it all finished :)

• Adam says:

I was wondering what people in the Langley Building etc are going to do about access – I looked at renting a flat in there and thought there was only an entrance straight onto Dale Street straight into the middle of the set!

12. paulmc107 says:

Looks like there are more store signs going up at atleast another half a dozen , plus the street furniture . It looks very promising . They have filled the second floor of Casa D’Arte with furniture amazing attention to detail .

13. Gazza says:

Wish some more photo’s would get uploaded :)

14. Darren says:

I’ll be passing on my way home from work and will take some more then.

15. paulmc107 says:

any more signs gone up yet ?